It’s June, which means it’s finally Pride month! Everybody deserves to celebrate after the year we’ve had, and there’s no better occasion than Pride. Chicago Pride 2021 is going to look a little different this year, but that just means you have a chance to make Pride your own. We’ve got all the info you need on Chicago Pride, custom LGBTQ shirts, Pride month celebration ideas, and (of course) a little bit about the history behind the festivities.
Chicago Pride 2021
Even as things open back up in Chicago, Pride still isn’t quite back to normal. Here’s a comprehensive list of dates to keep in mind this month:
- Pride in the Park will be happening the weekend of June 26th in Grant Park.
- The Chicago Pride parade has been delayed until Sunday, October 3rd.
- The Chicago Pride fest has been postponed until at least September.
But a lack of events does not, and has never meant, a lack of Pride. It just means you have a chance to get creative (which is what those of us at Same Day Tees are all about).
Pride Celebration Ideas
One of the great things about Pride is that there’s no one way to be gay or an ally, and there’s no one way to celebrate! Newly open parks, beautiful weather, and friends guarantee this is going to be a summer to remember. Here are a few ideas for how to celebrate the gay community this month:
- Set up a picnic with queer friends and allies, and just vibe! Bring a flag or two, don some rainbows, and celebrate queer activism and history in the sun.
- Throw a dance party and play queer music. Spotify has some great playlists to get you started, or make your own!
- Organize a Paris is Burning viewing. Set up a projector (you might be able to borrow one from your local library) or huddle around a laptop. Pride is a celebration, but it’s also an important time to connect with the history of the LGBT+ community.
- Read Audre Lorde, Judith Butler, James Baldwin, or any other queer authors you’ve been meaning to get around to. Don’t know any queer authors? Here’s a list to get you started.
- Finally, support the gay community. If that’s donating to LGBTQ organizations, attending a drag show, or giving out free Mom hugs at Pride events, take the chance to support the community this summer!
History of Pride
Ever wonder how all of this got started? Pride Month traces its roots back to the 1969 Stonewall Riot. In the early hours of June 28, 1969, police raided the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village, New York. Stonewall Inn was owned by the Mafia, and was one of the few places gay New Yorkers could gather and be authentically themselves. Although the bar had been raided before, this time, something was different. The bar’s queer patrons fought back. On the one year anniversary of the riot, the first Pride parade started outside Stonewall Inn.
Create Your Own Pride Month Shirts
Expressing yourself through clothing, especially during Pride month, is important. It’s also, frankly, fun. Same Day Tees gives you the opportunity to create your own Pride month shirts and celebrate Pride your way. Get creative and express yourself however you feel comfortable. We also work on short notice – forgot that Pride in the Park is coming up fast? was the only organized Pride event in Chicago this year? Same Day Tees can quickly bring your design to life so that you have your gear in time for every event. Take advantage of our free design tool and get creating today.
Need some inspiration for your custom Pride month creations? Here are some t-shirt slogan ideas to get you started:
- Gender is a Performance and I’m the Understudy
- Lavender Menace
- Daughters of Bilitis
- Proud Member of the Mattachine Society
- Looking Queer Is Good Actually Y’all Are Just Assimilationist
- Welcome to Montero
- First Pride
- Sweet Mother, I Cannot Weave – Slender Aphrodite Has Overcome Me With Longing For A Girl.
Pride month is all about creativity and celebration. And so are we! However, you decide to honor Pride month this summer, commemorate the season with custom gay pride shirts. Design your own shirt today!